This blog will include reminiscences, photos, musings, observations, research tips, data extractions and links to websites having to do primarily with our ancestors in the deep south states Georgia and Alabama, and may also include information and photos gathered during research of our family's lines in other states.
Saturday, August 8, 2009
Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Your 16 Great-Grands
Here is your SNGF assignment for the evening (if you choose to accept it - this is not stump the genealogist or even Mission Impossible):
1) List your 16 great-grandparents in pedigree chart order. List their birth and death years and places.
2) Figure out the dominant ethnicity or nationality of each of them.
3) Calculate your ancestral ethnicity or nationality by adding them up for the 16 - 6.25% for each (obviously, this is approximate).
4) If you don't know all 16 of your great-grandparents, then do it for the last full generation you have.
5) Write your own blog post, or make a comment on Facebook or in this post.
16. *John Samuel Carwile, born 25 Jan 1815 in Level Land, Abbeville Co, SC; died 28 Feb 1896 in Clay Co, AL.
17. *Easter Bowen, born 08 Feb 1814 in Level Land, Abbeville Co, SC; died 20 Jun 1897 in Clay Co, AL.
18. *Andrew Jackson Jordan, born 20 Jul 1830 in South Carolina; died 12 Aug 1901 in Clay county, Alabama.
19. *Nancy DeVaughn, born 18 Jun 1829 in Georgia; died 13 Jul 1888 in Clay county, Alabama.
20. **Thomas S. Jordan, born 03 Jan 1832 in Macon, Bibb Co, GA; died 06 May 1894 in Ashland, Clay Co, AL.
21. *Mary Creel, born 27 Feb 1838 in Carroll Co, GA; died 10 Sep 1921 in Ashland, Clay county, AL.
22. **Wiley Jackson Cannon, born 18 Feb 1817 in NC or SC; died 1891 in Ashland, Clay county, AL.
23. **Harriet Elizabeth Browning, born 1828 in GA; died 30 May 1878 in Jackson's Gap, Tallapoosa county, AL..
24. Col. *Nathaniel Bozeman, born 29 Jan 1812 in Jones county, GA; died 1864 in Burnsville, AL.
25. *Mary Susan Garrett, born 1827 in Lowndes County, AL; died 1878 in Burnsville, AL.
26. *Joseph Bell, born 11 Feb 1809 in Camden, South Carolina; died 13 Jun 1861 in Autauga County, Alabama.
27. *Ellen Serena Poole, born 1833 in Camden, South Carolina; died 1865 in Autauga County, Alabama.
28. **Benjamin B. King, born 10 Aug 1802 in SC; died 1866 in Americus, Sumter County, GA.
29. *Elinor S. Wood, born 20 Nov 1805 in GA; died 1870 in Americus, Sumter County, GA.
30. Rev (Elder) *Thomas King Pursley, born 26 Jun 1810; died May 1883 Andersonville, Sumter Co, GA.
31. *Elizabeth Kemper Morgan, born 23 Sep 1823 in SC; died 25 Nov 1892 Andersonville, Sumter Co, GA.
All of my ancestors (aside from the three brick wall ones who have no parents yet, #s 20, 23 and 28) had generations in the US before them - some since the early 1600s. The only ones so far definitely NOT from the UK were 4 of #31's (Eliz. Morgan's) 16 great-great grandparents, who were 1714 Germanna immigrants to Virginia. So far, apparently I am 90+ % UK. My maternal haplogroup is PreHV, according to 23andme.com
- "The Descendants of Richard Jordan 1"
- "The Ancestors of Keith & Sherry (Jordan) Hunter"
- "My Steuben County, Indiana, page"
- "Jordan Genealogy (descendants of Thomas Jordan, VA)"
- "JordanWeb (FANTASTIC site, rebuilding)"
- "Jordan Genealogy (descendants of Arthur Jordan, VA)"
- "Our Jordan Family (descendants of Richard Jordan, VA)"
- "Jordan genealogy (GA, NC, SC)"
- "Tracking Thomas (AL)"